Friday, August 2, 2013

Lazy Dog

Leave a Comment
240 S. State College Blvd
Brea, CA 92821

Ashley: Lazy Dog is a pretty typical American restaurant. The restaurant itself is HUGE, and gives off a very laid back kind of vibe. You see a lot of people sitting outside with their dogs under the table. I don't actually know if that has to do with their restaurant name. But anyway, we came here for Sunday brunch (technically, lunch). It was so crowded, and despite the size of the restaurant, there were no free tables. Fortunately, though, there was a bar style table available and our party of 6 decided to sit there instead.

We ordered calamari as an appetizer. It was not what I was expecting! When I think of calamari appetizers I usually think of fried calamari with some dip to go along with it. That was not the case with Lazy Dog's version. Look at this.


It was almost like a Panda Express version of the traditional appetizer. But I will say that it tasted delicious! The calamari was soft, with almost a fish-like texture, and the sauce it was cooked in reminded me of sweet and sour sauce! The calamari went well with the rice and green onions. Overall, this was a nice surprise! I would say that I probably prefer this version over the traditional fried calamari. 

For my main dish, I ordered a salad. For some reason I was not hungry at all that morning. I ordered the Cobb Salad--mainly because of the avocado. It was not as good as the appetizer. I ate the avocado right away and then slowly worked my way through the rest. I wouldn't say it was bad, but compared to the appetizer, it just wasn't working for me. Personal preference probably played an issue here, though. I don't like bleu cheese or bacon, and these two side accompaniments took up almost half of the salad. I probably should have thought about more than just the avocado. There was egg crushed up somewhere in there too, and overall, I didn't think the flavors worked well together. I would much rather have just had the appetizer as my main dish. Serving sizes are extremely generous, and I think an appetizer would be filling for most people.



I don't know if Stephen took a picture of his meal, which I remember being a burger of some sort (I'm not sure, though). I tried his french fries, and those were quite good! But hopefully he took a picture of his dish and can elaborate more on that.

Overall, I would definitely come back to try out more from Lazy Dog's menu. Great selection, great atmosphere, and excellent serving sizes.

Happy eating!
-STASH

0 comments:

Post a Comment